- Reciprocity: People give back to someone who has already given them something.
- Scarcity: People want what is scarce.
- Authority: People trust credible, knowledgeable experts.
- Consistency: People want to be consistent with their previous actions. Small initial commitments lead to stronger commitments later.
- Liking: People like to negotiate with people who are similar and share common goals.
- Consensus: People are influenced by the actions and behaviors of others.
- Unity: People who identify with others are more likely to be influenced by them.
Applying these principles to disagreements can increase the likelihood of successful negotiation.