“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?’
‘That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,’ said the Cat.
‘I don’t much care where -‘ said Alice.
‘Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,’ said the Cat.
‘- so long as I get SOMEWHERE,’ Alice added as an explanation.
‘Oh, you’re sure to do that,’ said the Cat, ‘if you only walk long enough.”
― , Alice in Wonderland
Decisions can be categorized in different ways. They are made in both personal or organizational contexts. Personal decisions can range from the mundane, such as what to wear or what route to take to work, to more weighty life decisions such as:
- Education: What level of education to get. Where to get it.
- Partner/ Marriage: Choosing a partner and defining your commitment to them.
- Children: Whether to have them and if so how many.
- Career: Whether to pursue a career and if so in what field, company, etc.
- When to quit: When to stop doing something (e.g. education, career, hobby, etc.)
- Choosing a home: deciding where to live, whether to rent or buy, etc.
It is worth noting that small choices can have a cumulatively significant impact over time. If someone decided to smoke a cigarette every day instead of doing physical activity, it would almost certainly harm their long-term health.
It’s perhaps possible to think of life as an endless chain of dominos—single commitments— each of which we can analyze, possibly to good effect.
— Robert Hoffmann RH Robert Hoffmann and Frank Yates FY Frank Yates , IEEE Intelligent Systems
Making hard life choices can be incredibly difficult. It is difficult to quantify the value that different options might yield. For life choices, there is no common denominator for measuring value, especially for intangibles like emotion, beauty, happiness or kindness. Tim Ferriss TF Tim Ferriss notes that fear often stands in the way of hard choices, but it’s making those choices that allow us to overcome our biggest challenges.
As distinctive people .points out, hard choices are opportunities to shape our lives and become